Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Where I eat my words...Sort of

The 10 hour ride to my brother’s house was perfect; The bug only had one tantrum (in which he hit me. How does he always find the perfect spot to smack me to make my glasses fall off?).

We only needed to watch 1 movie in the car, and grandma saved me from having to watch The Polar Express for the 100,000th time.

When we got to my brother’s new house (which the GPS totally f*cked up in finding) it was beautiful and huge, and The Bug and I had our own 900 square foot suite on the 2nd floor (The Bug ran back and forth in that room so much that I never had to worry about him sleeping).

The Bug didn’t go to bed until 9:30 Thursday night, something that would never have happened at home, but then he didn’t wake up until 9:00 the next morning…he has never slept that late in his life. I got to enjoy a couple cups of coffee on the deck with the other grown ups without any interruptions. The Bug repeated this pattern the next day too, heaven.

My niece’s baby daddy was beyond all expectations, he called my brother sir, he was incredibly attentive to the baby, and he obviously loves my niece. What more could I ask for.

My only complaints, 1) that it was so f*cking hot that we couldn’t do anything 2) That my brother’s new house is so nice that it makes me want to build one myself, only it would cost 2x as much to build it outside of the south

The ride home was a reminder that we would soon be returning to our real lives. The Bug woke up at 6:30 the morning of our departure, he was cranky in the car, and then the poop started. And, of course, I don’t have extra clothes accessible in the car. The Bug rode much of the way home in a t-shirt and diaper.

As soon as my dad and I switched drivers it started to pour down rain, lovely. I adore driving the curvy West Virginia highways and seeing a big drop-off on one side of me to begin with (did I mention my fear of heights), and the rain just makes it perfect.

At one poop cleaning stop, The Bug has a fit about going back into his car seat. I can’t blame him; by the time the trip was over he’d spent around 24 hours in the car, that’s a lot in 4 days. Thankfully, we were parked in a Dairy Queen parking lot, ahh, the ice cream bribe.

After I dropped my parents off, The Bug and I headed home. As soon as we got to the point on the highway where there are no exits for a long time, we’re stopped in a traffic jam, Shit. I call Ralph to tell him not to call our dinner order in yet, and I’m telling him about the traffic, and in this nasty voice he says, “What do you want me to do about it.” WTF? One of the reasons I took this little trip was to give Ralph a little space to miss me. Oh well, 4 days later he’s still acting like an ass.

No comments: