Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Does this sound unreasonable to you?

Ralph works hard for the money. He works hard for it, honey. So, I try to treat him right.

He is one of the owners of his company. They have tons of work right now, and IMHO, not enough staff to do it all. Therefore, Ralph works a lot of hours. He usually doesn’t get home before 7:00 (Tuesday it was after 10), but he often tries to get home in time to see The Bug before he goes to bed. Then he works in his home office until all hours, but that is another story.

Since The Bug was born, I have had only 1 request. I would like Ralph to call before 7:30, so I can plan my evening. If I know he is coming home soon, I might wait to eat dinner with him, or I might keep The Bug up a little past his bedtime so he can get a night night story from Daddy. On the other hand, if he isn’t going to be home, I’ll eat when I want and I’ll put The Bug to bed on time.

I don’t think that it is such an out-of-line request. He gets into work before 9 on his latest day, so, I think he could stop whatever he is doing 10 hours later to call his family for 5 minutes. Even if he had an employee in his office, he could say, “I just need to take a minute to let my wife know that I won’t be home for dinner.” Not that tough.

But, it is a huge point of contention, because he often forgets to call, or, like Tuesday, he says he’ll be home at one time (he said he was leaving ‘soon’ when I called at 7:30) but then gets home significantly later (walked in around 10:30). I try to understand the stress that he is under and not be a naggy bitch (my words, not his), but it just bugs the shit out of me.

Ralph doesn’t mind if I call him, but I feel as if I’m disturbing his work. I’d rather he call when he has a break, or when he realizes that he’s going to be longer than he’d anticipated. Ralph thinks that I am being unreasonable, do you think this is an unreasonable expectation?

6 comments:

justme said...

NO
NO
NO, you are not being unreasonable, yet why Men do not understand that is beyond me. It took a long time for hubby to understand I just need a heads up. he is pretty good now. He gets home by 7 most nights. that is the earlist he can get home. he used to work till 10, now he works when he gets home, but at least he can help with bed/bath.
a naggy bitch...NO WAY, a simple phone call is common courtesy.

OhTheJoys said...

I don't think it is too much to ask at all.

justme said...

your last post on mine was freaken hilarious. honestly i might have to post it on mine, it was so damn funny.
ok, NO ELASTIC

Anonymous said...

No. It happens to me and drives me nuts!

NerdyRedneck Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Nope, that is not too much to ask at all. Tell him to set his calendar or e-mail program to remind him. I bet he does not forget to call clients and vendors? Why would he forget to call even more important people then?

He needs to call!