Thursday, July 19, 2007

Grandfathers and Sons

My dad is the best. He was a great father to me and is a fantastic grandpa to The Bug. During the school year he watches The Bug 1/2 a day each week and my little guy looks so forward to Papa Mike coming over that if I have that day off he repeats "Papa Mike" over and over.

Since I have the summer off, Papa Mike hasn't been coming over to watch The Bug, and I think that they are missing one another terribly. To that end, my dad called the other day to ask if he could come over to watch The Bug. Hmmm, an afternoon all to myself, let me think about it....

Papa Mike picked up The Bug and took him to a little spot where they put down their lawn chairs and waited to see The Bug's favorite thing in the world, a train! I can just picture my dad and The Bug sitting beside this railroad crossing waiting for a train to come. Later, Papa Mike called to ask if I would join them for dinner. Papa Mike picked the restaurant, one that has a train table for kids to play at while they wait for their dinner, and the table itself, one with a great view of a railroad track.

The Bug insisted on sitting next to Papa Mike and tugged excitedly at his arm when a train rolled by the window. Despite the fact that we were past his dinner and bed times, The Bug was on his best behavior for Papa Mike.

What a beautiful sight, to see my dad and my son so happy enjoying one another's company, it was even worth the 1/2 hour of hearing The Bug scream "Paaapaaa Miiiike" at the top of his lungs as we drove home.

2 comments:

Jenster said...

What a special relationship between your father and son!

NoMommy said...

Thanks for visiting.